What can I do with MapChart?
Change the world! Not really, but you can create a custom map for your school project, your business presentation, your next blog post, or your social media account. Check out the showcase to see some examples of data visualized with MapChart!
Is this free?
All present and future maps, as well as the main map-making tools, are available for free. MapChart has been around since 2014 and thousands of users use it daily for free, without issues.
If you need more advanced tools, like your own account, the ability to save your maps and favorite colors to it, or removings all ads, you can try the MapChart Plus version.
Should I credit your website when publishing maps I created here?
You are allowed to use, edit and modify any map created with MapChart for private or commercial use/publication freely, by adding any kind of reference to MapChart in your work.
Some examples of an appropriate reference:
- Keeping the Created with mapchart.net tag that generated maps have embedded.
- A simple link to the front page or any other page of MapChart.
- A text attribution on the page or inside the article/publication where the map is used (as a caption, in the credits, etc).
More info here:
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.
If the above examples do not cover you, don't hesitate to contact me for more details.
Who is behind this?
A single, self-taught, freelance web developer named Minas. I am always available for working on other web or app projects, so contact me at [email protected] or by using the form on this page and we can work something out.
I have years of experience in map-related projects, so if you are in need of a custom version of MapChart, an extension of its features, or a new special map, that you can use in your organization, don't hesitate to get in touch.
Do you accept donations?
If this saved you a ton of hours, please consider making a small donation:
Else, you could show your support by visiting the MapChart merchandise store, where you can find really cool map-related T-shirts, hoodies, mugs, and more!
Are there historical maps available?
Of course, you can use Historical Map Chart for historical maps.
Is there a mobile app for this?
Yes! Please use the official MapChart mobile app, available for iOS and Android for free.
Learn more here or get it from the store:
Is there a browser theme for this?
Yes! Please find MapChart-inspired browser themes for Google Chrome, Firefox, or Vivaldi, in the Themes page.
Can you create a MapChart page for <enter country name>?
Send me your request through the contact form! I am constantly adding new maps and I am open to new ideas.
Note that all countries first-level subdivisions maps are already possible. You can use the detailed maps (Europe Detailed, Asia Detailed, etc.) and their 'Isolate One or More Countries' option, to isolate and create a separate map for any country you need. A quick tutorial on this blog post.
My map is not created / I found a bug!
Please try creating your map in Chrome, Firefox, Safari or Edge first, as these are the best supported browsers (Internet Explorer would not work). If you still face an issue, contact me and I will take a look at it as soon as possible. A screenshot of the problem and/or your map's configuration file would be most helpful.
What are you working on currently?
I constantly work on updates, like new maps and features, for both the website and the app. The table below serves as information for you, and as a tracker for me. Note that apart from major bugs, that I try to fix immediately, I cannot give an ETA for anything else (it's ready when it's ready!).
|New maps||New features||Bugs/map fixes||Other/taking time off|
|Currently working on:||✅|
- Maps edited and optimised with Inkscape.
- This product includes color specifications and designs developed by Cynthia Brewer (http://colorbrewer.org/).
- Color picker based on Spectrum jQuery plugin.
- French Departments map adapted from Wikimedia.
- UK postcode areas map source: Office for National Statistics licensed under the Open Government Licence v.3.0. Contains OS data © Crown copyright and database right 2012.
- Canadian Federal Ridings map adapted from Wikimedia.
- Ukraine map adapted from OCHA (FISS) dataset.
- Romania map adapted from ANCPI (Agenția Națională de Cadastru și Publicitate Imobiliară / National Agency for Cadastre and Land Registration), licensed under the Romanian Open Government License v1.0 (OGL-ROU-1.0).
- Hearts of Iron IV states map adapted from Wikimedia.
- Big thank you to @Kyx from the unofficial Discord server for the Hearts of Iron IV provinces map template.
- Google Play and the Google Play logo are trademarks of Google LLC.
- App Store and iOS are trademarks of Apple Inc.
Tell me about:
- Awesome maps you created!
- Ideas for new countries or regions to add.
- Any feature recommendation.
- Any bug or problem that you may encounter.
- Any opportunity for cooperation between me and you.
If you found an error or bug:
Please provide additional information to help with troubleshooting, such as:
- Which browser (Chrome, Firefox, Safari, etc.) and OS (Windows, MacOS, Linux, etc.) are you using?
- What actions you were doing when you encountered the bug, e.g. "coloring multiple countries" or "uploading a map's configuration"?
- Sending me a .txt with a saved configuration would also be helpful.
Please make sure that you first read the FAQ on this page.
Contact me at [email protected] or fill out the form below: