Tracking all MapChart-related updates.
Version 4.3.2 - 30 November 2023
- Fixed an issue with the HSL custom color picker.
- The Black Friday deal is now over. Thank you for your support!
Version 4.3.1 - 22 November 2023
- BLACK FRIDAY deal! Get 40% off MapChart Plus.
- The discount is valid for new subscriptions and all your future renewals!
- Offer will be available for the next few days.
Version 4.3.0 - 14 November 2023
- NEW! Color uncolored countries/states Script: Paint all the uncolored (still have the default color) countries with the color of your choice. A great way to save time and quickly color the remaining countries/states on your map.
- Fixed an issue where the Random Color scripts didn't work with the undo/redo functionality.
- Fixed an issue where, when picking a color from the map, the custom color input didn't update.
Version 4.2.6 - 8 November 2023
- Fixed an issue, where when having over 50 colors in the legend, the displayed warnings would not go away.
Version 4.2.5 - 5 November 2023
- US States map: fixed an issue, where hiding DE would display its north part in its place.
Version 4.2.4 - 4 November 2023
- Fixed an issue with some Scripts not working.
Version 4.2.3 - 3 November 2023
- US Congressional Districts map: updated (redrew) Alabama's districts, according to the recent Supreme Court ruling (Oct 5, 2023).
- World subdivisions/Europe detailed: added Guernsey.
- World subdivisions/Europe detailed: fixed names of Perthshire and Kinross > Perth and Kinross and Eilean Siar > Na hʼEileanan Siar in the United Kingdom.
- Argentina: fixed spelling of Famaillá and Ojo de Agua districts.
- Americas detailed map: fixed a minor issue with Ontario's borders.
- US States map: fixed an issue, where hiding MT, WY, CO, or NM would display their split parts instead.
- Fixed an issue where, when using the Random Color script, it would also color hidden countries/states on the map.
Version 4.2.2 - 14 October 2023
NEW! The Hearts of Iron IV states map has been updated for version 1.13 (Arms Against Tyranny) of the game. The changes are:
- Added or changed borders in the Nordic countries: Jan_Mayen, Jämtland, Västerbotten, Nordland, Norrbotten, Troms, Finnmark, Oulu, Lappi, Kuopio, Mikkeli, Häme, Turku, Kymi, Vaasa, Södermalm, Gävleborg, Uusimaa, Östergötland, Småland, Västergötland, Skåne, Dalarna, Värmland, Oslofjord, Opplandene, Telemark, Agder, Vestlandet, Trøndelag, Helgeland, Jylland, Sønderjylland, Fyn, Schleswig, Holstein, Sjaelland, Bornholm, Bohuslän.
- In the UK: split Northern England into Cumbria, Northumberland, and Isle of Man. Split Shetland_Islands from Scottish Highlands.
- In Albania: split into Albania and Shkodër.
Here is a map displaying all the changes ⬇️
- Europa Universalis IV map: fixed the names and provinces of New Zealand's southern island (Timaru, Ata Whenua, and Te Tau Ihu).
- Hearts of Iron IV provinces: fixed capitalization of all Jiangxi provinces.
- UK historic counties: fixed an issue with the labels of Roscommon and Offaly.
Version 4.2.1 - 5 October 2023
- Fixed an issue with right-click > Do not scale patterns setting not working.
Version 4.2.0 - 1 October 2023
NEW! More Scripts! You can now use:
- Get map data as TSV: Extract the map's data (colors, labels, etc.) into an easy-to-import TSV format, suitable for Excel, Google Sheets, or similar. Just copy and paste it into your spreadsheet.
- Export map data as CSV: Extract the map's data (colors, labels, etc.) as a CSV file. Open it with Excel, Google Sheets, or similar.
Check an example of getting the map's data in TSV format and pasting it into Excel: ⬇️
- Find them in Step 1 > Scripts....
- Also fixed an issue where using a script more than once would not produce output.
Version 4.1.1 - 27 September 2023
- Advanced world map/US Congressional Districts: fixed an issue where, when changing projection or Congress version, the map would not download on mobile iOS browsers.
- Asia/Europa Universalis IV: renamed East Timor to Timor Leste 🇹🇱 for consistency purposes.
- World subdivisions: fixed gaps between Azerbaijan and Iran provinces.
Version 4.1.0 - 24 September 2023
- You can now pick a color from the map when selecting:
- A new color for the current legend entries.
- Background color.
- Border color.
- Legend font color.
- Legend background color.
- New keyboard shortcut! Press F
to pay respectsto quickly pick a color from the map.
Check the new features: ⬇️
Version 4.0.8 - 18 September 2023
- Added a link to MapGame at the bottom of each page, for quick access.
- Added more state splits for the US states map: you can now split Montana (N-S), Wyoming (N-S), Colorado (N-S), and New Mexico (N-S).
- World subdivisions: fixed name of Al Manāmah in Bahrain 🇧🇭.
- Europa Universalis IV: fixed name of Yapeyú province.
Version 4.0.7 - 13 September 2023
- Fixed an issue where coloring multiple subdivision groups (e.g. states in the US counties map) would not handle diplaying state labels and borders properly, if the states were already isolated.
Version 4.0.6 - 8 September 2023
- Added more state splits for the US states map: you can now split North Dakota (W-E), South Dakota (W-E), Nebraska (W-E), Kansas (W-E), and Virginia (N-S).
- Fixed an issue where the selection tools wouldn't work properly on the Americas and India maps.
- Fixed an issue where coloring multiple subdivision groups (e.g. states in the US counties map) would not work properly with the undo/redo mechanism.
Version 4.0.5 - 7 September 2023
- Fixed an issue where loading map configurations that included isolated subdivision groups (e.g. states in the US counties map) would not display the saved data properly on the map.
Version 4.0.4 - 4 September 2023
- World subdivisions/Africa detailed: added Rumonge province to Burundi 🇧🇮.
- World subdivisions/Africa detailed: fixed borders between provinces of South Africa 🇿🇦. Also fixed name of Free State province.
- World subdivisions/Europe detailed: now displaying IJsselmeer inland bay in Netherlands 🇳🇱 properly.
- The Caribbean: added Sint Eustatius and Saba to the map.
- World (simple): Liechtenstein 🇱🇮 is now displayed with a circular shape for easier coloring. Also added its name label.
- Europa Universalis IV: fixed name errors. Sain Noyon is now Qaraqorum and former Qaraqorum is now Bayankhongor.
Version 4.0.0 - 1 September 2023
Version 3.15.3 - 16 August 2023
- Europe detailed: fixed an issue where loading a config would not color some of North Macedonia's municipalities.
- Europe detailed: Vatican City is now displayed on the map.
- Asia: Phú Quốc island is now properly displayed as part of Vietnam.
- World advanced/US Congr. Districts: fixed an issue where, when changing map projection or the selected congress map, the Zoom button would disappear.
- Fixed an issue where, on maps with multiple subdivision levels, showing and then making transparent a hidden subdivision would glitch.
Version 3.15.2 - 13 August 2023
- World subdivisions/Europe detailed: added Zeta municipality to Montenegro 🇲🇪.
- Fixed an issue in the Pacific-centered world map where the selection tools (rectangle, ellipse, etc.) didn't select properly.
- Fixed an issue where restoring the isolated states in the US Counties and Congr. Districts maps would not enable back some of the switches in Step 1.
- Fixed an issue where the area around Great Yarmouth was not shown in the UK 🇬🇧 counties map.
- Fixed typo in the Hearts of Iron IV Provinces map (Northern Territory 01).
Version 3.15.1 - 2 August 2023
- World with microstates map:
- Qatar 🇶🇦 and Eswatini 🇸🇿 are not displayed as a circle any more, but with their real outline.
- Fixed border between Serbia 🇷🇸 and Montenegro 🇲🇪, and Egypt 🇪🇬 and Sudan 🇸🇩.
- Added Estonia's 🇪🇪 islands to the map.
- Africa map: fixed border between Egypt 🇪🇬 and Sudan 🇸🇩.
- World subdivisions/Asia detailed: renamed Province No.1 to Koshi in Nepal 🇳🇵.
- World subdivisions: restoring older map configurations should now restore North Macedonia's 🇲🇰 provinces properly.
Version 3.15.0 - 1 August 2023
- NEW! Do you also use Google Sheets? Check out the brand new MapChart for Google Sheets add-on, that lets you create a custom map from your Google Sheets data!
- Relevant blog post.
Version 3.14.5 - 28 July 2023
- Fixed issues with the Excel to MapChart Configuration Export tools (for Windows and macOS):
- Renamed Shannon_SD to Oglala_Lakota_SD.
- Fixed spelling of Mc Kinley_NM and Orange_FL.
- Added Chugach_AK and removed Valdez-Cordova_AK.
Version 3.14.4 - 28 July 2023
- World subdivisions/Europe detailed: fixed an issue with Lake Ladoga not being displayed.
- World subdivisions/Africa detailed: renamed Orissa_IN to Odisha_IN, and Uttaranchal_IN to Uttarakhand_IN.
- Portugal 🇵🇹: fixed borders between Braga and Porto provinces (Vizela municipality).
- Netherlands 🇳🇱: fixed borders between Gelderland and Overijssel provinces (Hattem municipality).
- World subdivisions: fixed an issue with Latvian subdivision border width.
Version 3.14.3 - 23 July 2023
NEW! Europe detailed: remade the whole map to be displayed in the Robinson projection, similarly to the other detailed maps. This came with a lot of fixes and improvements:
- Fixed all gaps between borders.
- Added Apace_SI, Azores_PT, Madeira_PT, Blackpool_UK, Ceuta_ES, Melilla_ES, Šmartno_in_Litiji_SI, Struga_MK, Šuto_Orizari_MK, Svalbard_NO.
- Removed Sark_OT and UN_buffer_zone_OT.
- Dublin is now split into South-Dublin_IE, Fingal_IE, Dún-Laoghaire–Rathdown_IE.
- Name fixes: Bourgogne_FR > Bourgogne-Franche-Comté_FR, Eastern_MK > Zrnovci_MK, Gorenjska_SI > Radovljica_SI, Jugovzhodna_Slovenija_SI > Dolenjske_Toplice_SI, Koroška_SI > Slovenj_Gradec_SI, Lódz_PL > Łódź_PL, Noròurland_Vestra_IS > Norðurland_vestra_IS, Northeastern_MK > Staro_Nagoricane_MK , Notranjsko-kraška_SI > Pivka_SI , Osrednjeslovenska_SI > Ljubljana_SI, Päijänne_Tavastia_FI > Päijät_Häme_FI, Pelagonia_MK > Mogila_MK, Phecevo_MK > Pehcevo_MK, Podravska_SI > Starše_SI, Polog_MK > Vrapcište_MK, Pomurska_SI > Murska_Sobota_SI, Savinjska_SI > Žalec_SI, Southeastern_MK > Strumitsa_MK, Southwestern_MK > Plasnica_MK, Spodnjeposavska_SI > Krško_SI, Swietokrzyskie_PL > Świętokrzyskie_PL, Vardar_MK > Rosoman_MK.
- World subdivisions: the detailed Europe map update resulted in a lot of fixes on this map too:
- Merged Liechtenstein's subdivisions into one.
- All the additions, removals, name fixes from the Europe update, and additionally: Středoceský_CZ > Stredoceský_CZ, Kriti_GR > Crete_GR, Dytiki_Makedonia_GR > Western_Macedonia_GR, Voreio_Aigaio_GR > North_Aegean_GR, Anatoliki_Makedonia_kai_Thraki_GR > Eastern_Macedonia_and_Thrace_GR, Dytiki_Ellada_GR > Western_Greece_GR, Kentriki_Makedonia_GR > Central_Macedonia_GR, Notio_Aigaio_GR > South_Aegean_GR, Corse_FR > Corsica_FR, Baden-W__rttemberg_DE > Baden-Württemberg_DE, Eysturoyar_FO > Eysturoyar_DK, Aug__daugavas_novads_LV > Augšdaugavas_novads_LV, R__zeknes_novads_LV > Rēzeknes_novads_LV, Noròurland_Vestra_IS > Norðurland_vestra_IS, Chişinău_MD > Chișinău_MD, Floreşti_MD > Florești_MD, Świetokrzyskie_PL > Świętokrzyskie_PL, Lódź_PL > Łódź_PL, Južno_Banatski_RS > Južno-Banatski_RS, Ju__no-Backi_RS > Južno-Backi_RS, North_Tiperrary_IE > Tiperrary_IE.
- For 99% of cases, loading a previously saved map should automatically take into account all these name fixes. However, please note that you may find some subdivisions uncolored, so you will need to recolor them manually.
- Fixed an issue with the cursor not being updated when using Ctrl + hold shortcuts.
- Romania 🇷🇴: fixed name of Ariceștii_Rahtivani_PH.
- World subdivisions/Africa detailed: added South West Ethiopia Peoples province to Ethiopia 🇪🇹.
- World subdivisions/Africa detailed: added Chobe and Ngamiland districts to Botswana 🇧🇼.
- US counties: fixed borders between Prince Wales-Hyder and Petersburg census areas in Alaska.
Version 3.14.2 - 8 July 2023
- Africa detailed: fixed all gaps between subdivision borders.
- World subdivisions/Africa detailed: added North Western province in Sierra Leone 🇸🇱.
- World subdivisions/Africa detailed: fixed borders of Dubréka and Conakry in Guinea 🇬🇳.
- World subdivisions/Africa detailed: fixed borders of Bengui and Ombella M' Poko in Central African Republic 🇨🇫.
- World subdivisions: fixed borders of counties in Croatia 🇭🇷.
- Americas detailed: fixed an issue with the Great Lakes not being displayed on the map.
- World subdivisions/Asia detailed: fixed name of Al_Manāmah_BH in Bahrain 🇧🇭.
- Japan 🇯🇵: fixed names of Kochi and Oita prefectures.
- Fixed an issue where uploading a configuration with a custom legend position would sometimes place the legend out of bounds.
Version 3.14.1 - 4 July 2023
- Americas detailed map: fixed all gaps between subdivision borders. Also, minor updates to some subdivision names.
- US states map: fixed placement of DC.
Version 3.14.0 - 3 July 2023
NEW! [Plus] When you load a saved map, you can now also load a configuration from a compatible map page, for example:
- Transfer a design from the advanced world map to the simple world map.
- Apply a Europe, Africa, Asia, or The Americas map to a world map and vice versa (non-applicable territories will be ignored).
- Load a US states map on the US & Canada map.
- This feature can be handy when you want to transfer or expand your map data between different maps.
- To find compatible saved maps, in the Load dialog, select Compatible maps at the top right. Select the one you want and hit Load.
See how it works (loading a US states map on the US & Canada map): ⬇️
Version 3.13.2 - 2 July 2023
- World subdivisions/Asia detailed: updated borders of Ar Riyad, Ash Sharqiyah, Najran, Al Jawf, Al Hudud ash Shamaliyah, Tabuk, Ha 'il, Ar Quassim in Saudi Arabia 🇸🇦.
- World subdivisions/Africa detailed: updated borders of Bengo and Luanda in Angola 🇦🇴.
- World subdivisions/Africa detailed: added Orapa town district to Botswana 🇧🇼.
- Americas detailed: added Islas de la Bahia province to Honduras 🇭🇳.
- Africa detailed: fixed some border gaps between subdivisions.
Version 3.13.1 - 1 June 2023
- Converted all names of municipalities in the Mexico 🇲🇽 map to display their state's ISO code instead (e.g. San_Dimas_MX10026 -> San_Dimas_DUR).
- Fixed an issue with the name labels for maps that have multiple subdivision layers (e.g. Mexico, Ukraine, Italy, etc.).
- Fixed an issue where the right-click menu and submenus were overflowing the available space. This was most prominent with the US states map Split States option.
Version 3.13.0 - 30 May 2023
- NEW! The Mexico 🇲🇽 map has been updated to show all 2,547 Mexican municipalities!
- You can also display the 32 Mexican states as a separate layer, on top of the municipalities. Use the options in Step 1 to set the visibility/transparency of states.
- Added more state splits for the US states map: you can now split Michigan (N-S), Maine (N-S), South Carolina (W-E), Montana (W-C-E), Wyoming (W-E), and Colorado (W-E).
- Optimized switching layers on maps that have multiple subdivision layers (e.g. Mexico, Ukraine, Italy, etc.).
- Fixed an issue where loading a saved US states map displayed some duplicate state labels.
Version 3.12.1 - 29 May 2023
- Fixed an issue where, when you had the Ellipse (E), Rectangle (R) or Polygon (P) tool selected, dragging the legend around would also start a selection.
- Improved how the legend labels are split into lines. If you enter a long label without spaces, it now behaves properly.
- World with microstates: fixed the label of Chile not showing up.
- Netherlands: fixed the borders between North and South Holland (municipality of Hillegom).
Version 3.12.0 - 26 May 2023
NEW! You can now split a state into parts in the US states map:
- Right-click on a state and select Split state into parts .
- Examples include splitting California into Northern/Southern, splitting Pennsylvania into Eastern/Western, etc.
- To go back, right-click on a state part and select Show state as a whole or use the Undo button.
- ⚠️ Not all states can be split. For suggestions, let me know through the Feedback page.
- The way each state is split is mostly arbitrary and meant to be used as a way to further customize your map.
- This is only available for the US states map page.
- States that can be split: AL, AR, AZ, CA, DE, FL, GA, IA, IL, IN, KY, LA, MD, MI, MO, MS, NC, NJ, NV, NY, OH, OK, OR, PA, TN, TX, UT, VA, WA, WI, WV.
See an example map with split states: ⬇️
Version 3.11.2 - 23 May 2023
- World subdivisions: added Halabja province to Iraq 🇮🇶.
- World subdivisions/Asia detailed:
- Updated Ulaanbaatar's borders in Mongolia 🇲🇳 and added Govisumber province.
- Added Osh City to Kyrgyzstan's 🇰🇬 subdivisions.
- Added Tboung Khmum province to Cambodia 🇰🇭.
- Fixed Pyongyang provinces' name issues in North Korea 🇰🇵.
- Added Nampo City and Kaesong City to North Korea's 🇰🇵 subdivisions.
See the changes on the map: ⬇️
Version 3.11.1 - 22 May 2023
- NEW! On the Türkiye 🇹🇷 map, you can now display the 7 geographical regions as a separate layer, on top of the provinces. Use the options in Step 1 to set the visibility/transparency of geographical regions.
Version 3.11.0 - 21 May 2023
NEW Added a Report a bug... option on all map pages:
- Clicking it will open a dialog where you will find a complete report, including info on your browser, your map settings, and your latest actions.
- You can copy the report and send it via e-mail (or the Feedback page), or just submit it anonymously.
- It is the easiest way for me to reproduce and work on the issue you are facing.
- You will find the Report a bug... in Step 3 of all map pages.
See it in action: ⬇️
- Fixed some issues with how changing subdivision levels works on maps with multiple subdivision levels (e.g. Ukraine, Belgium, Spain, etc.).
- Changing subdivision levels on these maps is now available in the undo/redo functionality.
Version 3.10.11 - 15 May 2023
- [Plus] Added info on the Plus subscription price in the Account Settings page.
- [Plus] Added info on what happens when a Plus subscription expires.
- Fixed an issue with the cursor when coloring the map using the Rectangle, Ellipse, or Polygon tools.
Version 3.10.10 - 14 May 2023
- [Plus] Added or made easier to use some account-related actions, directly from the Account Settings page, including:
- Getting your receipt/invoice for your Plus purchase.
- Updating your payment method (via Gumroad).
- Cancelling/restarting your subscription (with steps on how to do so via Gumroad).
- You will also now know if, when cancelling, you are eligible for a refund.
- The FAQ has been updated to reflect these changes and clear up subscription-related documentation.
- Fixed an issue where, when changing group color from the legend boxes and then deleting the group altogether, would afterwards cause issues with coloring new elements.
- World subdivisions/Asia detailed: fixed islands between Kagoshima and Okinawa in Japan 🇯🇵.
- Germany 🇩🇪: fixed border between the districts of Hessen and Rheinland-Pfalz.
- Belgium 🇧🇪: fixed border between Limburg and Liege.
- Belgium 🇧🇪: renamed Bitsingen to Bassenge.
- Poland 🇵🇱: fixed name of Opole City.
Version 3.10.9 - 28 April 2023
- NEW! On the Belgium 🇧🇪 map, you can now display the 11 provinces as a separate layer, on top of the municipalities. Use the options in Step 1 to set the visibility/transparency of provinces.
- Added Greenland 🇬🇱 to the Americas 🌎 map.
Version 3.10.8 - 27 April 2023
NEW! Easier-to-read legends with adjustable width:
- Make your legend wider if the text is too long and hard to read.
- Text will automatically fit within the adjusted width, making it neater and easier to understand.
- To change the width, just drag the handle at the edge of the legend.
See it in action: ⬇️
- Fixed an issue where restoring map configurations with isolated groups (e.g. restoring isolated California on the US Counties map) didn't work.
- Advanced World/US Congressional Districts/US Electoral College Cartogram: fixed an issue where changing the map didn't set the new map's dimensions correctly, when downloading the final image.
- World 1938: fixed name of Vatican City.
- Small UI improvements.
Version 3.10.7 - 21 April 2023
- NEW! On the Spain 🇪🇸 map, you can now display the 19 autonomous communities as a separate layer, on top of the provinces. Use the options in Step 1 to set the visibility/transparency of autonomous communities.
- NEW! On the Netherlands 🇳🇱 map, you can now display the 12 provinces as a separate layer, on top of the municipalities. Use the options in Step 1 to set the visibility/transparency of provinces.
- Fixed an issue where the historical US map slider would not work.
- Restored some missing icons in menus and buttons.
Version 3.10.6 - 20 April 2023
- NEW! On the Germany 🇩🇪 map, you can now display the 16 states (Länder) as a separate layer, on top of the districts (Landkreise/Stadtkreise). Use the options in Step 1 to set the visibility/transparency of states.
- The previously separate German states and districts map pages have now been merged to the updated Germany map page.
- NEW! On the Portugal 🇵🇹 map, you can now display the 20 districts as a separate layer, on top of the municipalities. Use the options in Step 1 to set the visibility/transparency of districts.
- Improved switching the visibility/transparency of additional layers and how borders/labels behave.
- World subdivisions: added Shymkent City to Kazakhstan's 🇰🇿 subdivisions.
Version 3.10.5 - 18 April 2023
- Fixed a bug 🐛 causing major performance issues on maps with a lot of elements.
- Fixed an issue with the Hears of Iron IV provinces map, where the color by state feature was broken.
Version 3.10.4 - 18 April 2023
- NEW! On the Italy 🇮🇹 map, you can now display the 20 regions as a separate layer, on top of the provinces. Use the options in Step 1 to set the visibility/transparency of regions.
- Replaced the switches for changing the visibility/transparency of additional layers in the Romania 🇷🇴 and Ukraine 🇺🇦 map with dropdowns.
- Fixed an issue with the color multiple countries/states feature, where you were not able to paste comma-separated abbreviations.
- Fixed an issue with the updated color/isolate multiple countries/states features not working in the EU NUTS 2/3 and Oceania detailed maps.
- World subdivisions/Asia detailed: added Papua Barat Daya to Indonesian 🇮🇩 provinces.
- World subdivisions/Asia detailed: renamed 11 of Indonesia's 🇮🇩 provinces to their Indonesian name (e.g. renamed Central Papua to Papua Tengah).
- Asia detailed: added Shymkent City to Kazakhstan's 🇰🇿 subdivisions.
- Fixed minor bugs here and there.
Version 3.10.3 - 13 April 2023
- Fixed an issue with the War Games map special features.
Version 3.10.2 - 13 April 2023
NEW! When using the isolate or color multiple countries/states feature, you can now:
- Search for the available ones and add them (instead of adding them manually).
- Include regions/organizations in your selection. For example, you can choose to isolate all countries in Southern Asia, Japan, and Mongolia (without having to add them all one-by-one).
See it in action: ⬇️
Version 3.10.1 - 10 April 2023
- Hearts of Iron IV states map:
- Merged Shetland into Scottish Highlands.
- Added the following states: Karagandy, Pavlodar, Kargopol, Kotlas, and Chukchi Peninsula.
- Fixed the names of Elisabethville, Khakassia, Lazio, Lombardia, North Transylvania, Piemonte, Sardegna, Sicilia, Toscana, Vorarlberg, and Zambesi.
- Hearts of Iron IV provinces map: added Saint Pierre and Miquelon (was previously part of Newfoundland).
- Türkiye: display Imrali island as part of Bursa province, not Yalova.
Version 3.10.0 - 9 April 2023
- NEW! Rectangle, ellipse, and polygon selection tools!
- Now you can easily select and color multiple countries or states at the same time, making your map coloring experience even better:
- Next to the Select color color picker, you will find a Tools... dropdown.
- Click it and choose the tool you want: Single-click, Rectangle, Ellipse, or Polygon.
- Draw your selection on the map.
- All countries/states you select will be immediately colored with the selected color.
- You can also configure the selection behavior.
- Use shortcuts for switching between the different selection modes:
- S for Single-click selection.
- R for the Rectangle tool.
- E for the Ellipse tool
- P for the Polygon tool.
See it in action: ⬇️
Version 3.9.6 - 4 April 2023
- Added Finland 🇫🇮 to NATO countries in the Region selection feature of the world maps.
Version 3.9.5 - 30 March 2023
- Fixed an issue where the map would download as a blank image on the latest Safari version (v16.4).
Version 3.9.4 - 30 March 2023
- US hex cartogram: Fixed issues with the color of the borders.
Version 3.9.3 - 30 March 2023
- World subdivisions/Asia detailed: Renamed South_Kazakhstan_KZ to Turkistan_KZ 🇰🇿.
- Fixed issues with the appearance of buttons.
Version 3.9.2 - 21 March 2023
- World subdivisions/Asia detailed: Renamed Nursultan_KZ to Astana_KZ 🇰🇿.
- Asia detailed: fixed name of Thừa_Thiên_-_Huế_VN.
- Ukraine: renamed Novohrad_Volynska_UA1808015 to Zviahel_UA_1808015 and Novohrad_Volynskyi_UA1808 to Zviahel_UA1808.
Version 3.9.1 - 17 March 2023
- All exported maps in PNG or JPEG format, have a DPI of 300 now. This can be helpful for printing large images or when viewing them on high resolution screens.
- World subdivisions/Asia detailed: Added the newly created Abai, Ulytau, and Jetisu regions to Kazakhstan 🇰🇿.
- Asia detailed: added lake outlines to the map.
Version 3.9.0 - 15 March 2023
Speak and you shall be heard! After popular demand, the Preview Map button has been brought back to the Step 3 of the map creation process. You can now:
- Choose the behavior you want for the download process: either directly Download your map or Preview it and then download it (the previous process). Your preference will also be saved locally for all your MapChart visits.
- If you Preview your map, you can now also use the Copy button to copy the image to your clipboard. (not available on Firefox for now).
- In both cases, you are able to get your map in PNG, JPEG, or SVG formats and set the dimensions (width/height) you want.
Check the reinstated features ⬇️
- Various UI improvements, especially for the Simple and Simple - Reversed UI layouts.
Version 3.8.1 - 12 March 2023
- Fixed an issue with changing projection or map versions on the World Advanced, US Congressional Districts, and US hex cartogram pages.
Version 3.8.0 - 9 March 2023
NEW! The download process has been revamped:
- It is now possible to specify the width and height of the downloaded image, with a range of values starting from 500px and going up to 10,000px.
- You can now download your map as a JPEG, instead of PNG format.
- You can now download your map as an SVG (vector image) too!
- There is no Preview Map step any more. Instead, you can directly click on Download Map to obtain the map as an image.
Find the new settings in Step 3 > Download options... ⬇️
- World subdivisions/Europe detailed: fixed and improved the borders of Cyprus' subdvisions.
- World subdivisions: fixed an issue with Anguilla.
- Added Greenland and removed French Guiana to/from NATO in the Region Selection feature of the world maps.
- Renamed the Changelog page (this page) to What's New.
- Various improvements to the user interface.
Version 3.7.6 - 2 March 2023
- If you are on ChromeOS (i.e. Chromebooks), some shortcuts have been changed to avoid conflicts with system shortcuts. You should now:
- Hold Alt (and not Ctrl) and move over the map to paint countries/provinces (you can customize this).
- Hold Alt (and not Ctrl) and Shift, and move over the map to perform the opposite action.
- Hold Ctrl-Shift (and not Alt-Shift) and click on a country/province to paint the whole state/region.
Version 3.7.5 - 6 February 2023
- NEW! When you isolate a country or state in maps like the US Counties or World subdivisions, this is now saved in your map configurations. So, if you later resume your map, you will be shown the isolated map, exactly as you saved it.
Example (for a Plus user, but it's the same if you use the text files) ⬇️
- Fixed the map displayed in the World - 1815 map logo.
Version 3.7.4 - 4 February 2023
- Rearranged the menu at the top navigation bar: you can now find all non-map pages and links under the Contact and more... submenu.
- The previously named Feedback page is now two separate pages: a Contact and an About page. Their content has also been updated.
- The COVID-19 daily statistics map page is now archived. This means that it won't be updated any more with new data. You can still use it to check out COVID-19 related data from August 6th, 2020 and up to January 31st, 2023.
Version 3.7.3 - 26 January 2023
- NEW! Do you also use Airtable? Check out the brand new MapChart for Airtable extension, that lets you visualize your base's records on a map!
- World with microstates: Fixed label of Chile not showing up.
Version 3.7.2 - 22 January 2023
- Africa detailed/World subdivisions maps: Added Djibloho province to Equatorial Guinea 🇬🇶.
- Fixed an issue where the color of state borders wouldn't change in the US counties and US Congressional Districts maps.
Version 3.7.1 - 18 January 2023
- World subdivisions/Americas detailed maps: fixed names of Guyana's regions 🇬🇾.
- Europa Universalis IV map:
- Added Weagamow to the wastelands list.
- Cree is now part of the Iyiyiw province.
- Cayman Islands is now part of the Moron province.
- Fixed an issue where picking a color from the map ( Pick from map) didn't work properly.
Version 3.7.0 - 16 January 2023
- NEW! Added new keyboard shortcuts for many frequent map-making actions, including Z to enter Zoom Mode, C to quickly open the color picker, and Control + S to save your progress.
- Check the full list in the Step 1 > Shortcuts dialog, or the image below.
Check out the list of all available keyboard shortcuts ⬇️
- Fixed an issue where if you attempted to color en masse hidden countries/states, it wouldn't work as intended.
- Coloring en masse (Ctrl + move) should be a bit snappier now.
Version 3.6.3 - 13 January 2023
- When you isolate multiple states on the US counties and US Congressional Districts maps, you can now properly display the isolated states' borders and abbreviations.
Before/after example of an isolated states' map ⬇️
- Fixed an issue with the border width of subdivisions not behaving correctly.
- World 1880 map: fixed border between Romania/Russian Empire, and Serbia/Ottoman Empire.
Version 3.6.2 - 10 January 2023
- Europe detailed map: added City of London province to the United Kingdom.
- World 1880 map: fixed border between Persia and the Russian Empire.
- World 1880 map: fixed border between Italy and France.
- World 1815, World 1880, World 1914, and World 1938 maps: added Monaco, Liechtenstein, Andorra, San Marino, and Vatican City where applicable.
Version 3.6.1 - 5 January 2023
- Hearts of Iron IV - Provinces map: fixed an issue with Onega_01 province.
Version 3.6.0 - 3 January 2023
- Happy New Year 🎆! Best wishes to you and your loved ones! 🎉
- NEW! When selecting a custom color, you can now input it in HSL and RGB color formats, along with the existing hex format (e.g. #00ff00 can also be inputted as 0, 255, 0 in RGB and 120, 100%, 50% in HSL).
- The custom color picker has been improved, and now you can preview the value of the color when dragging inside the color gradient square.
- You can switch the current color format with the ↕️ button next to the color input. Your choice will be remembered for future visits.
Check the new custom color picker ⬇️
- Fixes and improvements to maps:
- World subdivisions: merged Komi-Permyak_RU and Perm_RU to Perm_Krai_RU.
- Europe detailed: removed Komi-Permyak_RU.
- Asia detailed: renamed Perm_RU to Perm_Krai_RU.
- World with Microstates: renamed East Timor to Timor Leste 🇹🇱 for consistency purposes. It also now displays its real world shape instead of a circle.
- Netherlands: merged the municipalities of Brielle, Hellevoetsluis, and Westvoorne to the newly formed Voorne aan Zee municipality.
- Croatia 🇭🇷 is now part of the Eurozone and the Schengen area! Updated the Region Selection feature of the world maps to reflect the addition.
Version 3.5.5 - 29 December 2022
- You can now display county name labels in the UK historic counties map.
- Fixed an issue with the Find uncolored countries ⚡️ Script not working on the Caribbean map.
Version 3.5.4 - 28 December 2022
- [Plus] Fixed an issue where some map configurations would not load for some users.
Version 3.5.3 - 22 December 2022
- When using coloring shortcuts, like holding Ctrl and moving over the map, or Option/Alt-Shift-clicking on a subdivision, you will now see a different cursor, to help making more accurate selections.
- Fixed an issue where Option/Alt-Shift-clicking on a subdivision for the second time, would not color the currently clicked subdivision.
- Hearts of Iron IV provinces map:
- Fixed the name of Qinghai state's provinces.
- Renamed Northeastern Canada provinces to Northern Manitoba.
- Redesignated the previously named Northeastern Canada 01 province to Nord du Quebec.
- Fixed León and Diyarbakır states' province names.
- Redesignated the previously named Onega 01 province to Murmansk. Renamed Onega 36 to Onega 01.
Version 3.5.2 - 16 December 2022
- Fixed an issue with the height of the USA Counties map when in Preview mode.
Version 3.5.1 - 13 December 2022
- Fixed an issue with changing the UI layout to simple or simple (reversed) on the Hearts of Iron IV provinces map.
- Fixed an issue with the label of Northern Ireland in the simple World map.
Version 3.5.0 - 13 December 2022
🖌️ New free map themes! You can now find 5 new map themes to use as a starting point for your maps:
- ⬜️ Muted: based on grey hues.
- 🦈 Marine: dark blue-grey background, grey countries.
- 👑 Royal: regal purple and gold.
- 🛸 Modern: light grey backround, white countries.
- 📜 Ancient: feels like a 15th century exploration chart.
- Big thanks to @Apollo3994, @micio_miciò☭, @RedCelcius01, and @idk_WhatMyNameIs from the unofficial Discord server, for designing the themes and contributing them to the website!
Version 3.4.2 - 12 December 2022
- MapChart birthday deal: Get 40% off MapChart Plus!
- Celebrate 8 years of map-making excellence!
- The discount is valid for new subscriptions and all your future renewals.
Version 3.4.1 - 7 December 2022
- Hearts of Iron IV Provinces map: added accentuated letters to province names and fixed names for Sachsen, Leon, Harju, Diyarbakir, Volgodonsk, Afyon and Northern Malay.
Version 3.4.0 - 6 December 2022
- New map! The Hearts of Iron IV - Provinces map is now available! NEW!
- It has around 10,000 provinces to work with, making it by far the most detailed map you can find on the website!
- You can also use the available shortcuts to color it quickly. For example, try holding Option/Alt+Shift and clicking on any province!
- Try also using the random color script (Step 1 > Scripts...) for a colorful spectacle!
- Beware that due to its size, this map can be heavy to load and use in some circumstances.
- The map is updated to reflect the latest HoI IV patch (v.1.12).
- Special thanks to @Kyx from the unofficial Discord server for the map template.
- A states overlay that you can toggle on/off will be added soon.
- Europe NUTS 3 map: In Italy's regions, removed ITG27, corrected ITI31 and ITH59, and split ITI34 into ITI34 and ITI35.
- When using keyboard shortcuts to color a map, you will now see again a different cursor (for example, a bucket icon when coloring en masse, or a target icon when coloring by state).
Version 3.3.9 - 4 December 2022
- World-1880 map: Added British Cyprus to the map.
Version 3.3.8 - 25 November 2022
- BLACK FRIDAY deal! Get 40% off MapChart Plus.
- The discount is valid for new subscriptions and all your future renewals!
Version 3.3.7 - 24 November 2022
- Fixed some layout issues with the More Maps menu dropdown.
Version 3.3.6 - 22 November 2022
- Fixed an issue with retrieving a Plus user's email on the Welcome page.
- World - Wargames map: Added some margin at the left side of the map to make Hawaii's hexagon accessible.
- World 1880 map: Fixed an issue with the Ottoman Empire borders.
Version 3.3.5 - 15 November 2022
- Fixed an issue with the border width of counties/districts for isolated states in the US counties and US Congressional districts maps.
Version 3.3.4 - 13 November 2022
- Added the ability to show/hide the tooltip (with the country's name) when hovering over the map. Find it in Step 1 > Advanced...
- Fixed the tooltip's positioning.
Version 3.3.3 - 1 November 2022
- World 1914 map: fixed a typo in Anglo-Egyptian Sudan's name.
- Minor UI improvements.
Version 3.3.2 - 30 October 2022
- Fixed an issue with the width of borders in Ukraine and Romania maps.
Version 3.3.1 - 29 October 2022
- Fixed an issue with the pattern color pickers not working.
Version 3.3.0 - 28 October 2022
⚡️ Big performance improvements! NEW!
You should see a big improvement to the zoom mode's smoothness. Zooming in/out and moving the map around should feel a lot more snappier and responsive, even on the largest maps.
Example before/after of zooming in/out a fully colored World Wargames map ⬇️
- There is now no limit to zooming in.
- Added a couple of zoom settings (inverting X/Y axis).
- Added a tutorial with all the available zoom options and shortcuts.
- Added more keyboard shortcuts for zoom mode: + - to zoom in/out, the keyboard arrows to move the map, R to reset, and Esc to stop zooming.
- Zoom Mode is now available on all maps.
- When hitting Preview Map, the map is not blurry now and loads a bit faster. This works on Chrome-like browsers and Firefox.
Version 3.2.4 - 21 October 2022
- Fixed an issue with thick borders randomly appearing when isolating countries on the World Subdivisions map.
Version 3.2.3 - 20 October 2022
- Minor performance improvements to loading of map pages.
Version 3.2.2 - 18 October 2022
- Added a few transparent background options in the Background color picker.
- Minor accessibility and performance improvements.
Version 3.2.1 - 17 October 2022
- Minor performance improvements.
Version 3.2.0 - 14 October 2022
As a Plus user, you can now generate a unique, shareable link 🌎 for your saved map.
How to share a link to your map ⬇️
Anyone with the link (Plus user or not) can then use it to instantly load your map's settings and continue editing it or just check it out.
Using a shared link to load a map ⬇️
Creating a link to share:
This only works for maps that you have already saved to My Maps:
- While editing your map, hit the Share button at the left edge of the map.
- A link will be generated and this map configuration will be made publicly available. 🌎
- Copy the link and send it to anyone you want.
Using a link to load a map:
Anyone with the link can use it to load the map configuration you shared. When they visit it, the map settings will be instantly loaded on the map.
- See it in action: try opening any of the below shared map links (all shared by me!):
- Fixed an issue where changing the color of all countries of a color group would sometimes fail.
- World Subdivisions and Europe-Detailed maps: renamed West Bosnia subdivision to Canton 10 in Bosnia and Herzegovina 🇧🇦.
Version 3.1.2 - 13 October 2022
- Hearts of Iron IV map: added Saint Pierre and Miquelon and Socotra. Fixed issues with the outline of Stalinabad and Nigeria.
- World Subdivisions and Americas-Detailed maps: renamed Vargas subdivision to La Guaira in Venezuela 🇻🇪.
- World Subdivisions map: swapped the names of Napo and Tungurahua in Ecuador 🇪🇨.
Version 3.1.1 - 9 October 2022
- [Plus] Adapted the legend font picker dialog to the dark theme.
- Removed Isle of Man from the Europe map for consistency purposes.
- Fixed an issue with Stalinabad province on the updated Hearts of Iron IV map.
Version 3.1.0 - 6 October 2022
- ⚡️ Performance improvement: editing the map with basic actions like coloring or showing/hiding elements should now be much faster. This improvement should be most felt when working with maps with many countries/subdivisions. Undoing/redoing should also feel much snappier.
Example before/after of editing a fully colored US Counties map ⬇️
- [Plus] Fixed an issue where, when loading a map from the My Maps page, the Save As button remained disabled and greyed out.
- Fixed an issue with the Virginian peninsula missing on the updated Hearts of Iron IV map.
Version 3.0.5 - 5 October 2022
- Updated the Hearts of Iron IV map to the latest patch (1.12 "By Blood Alone").
- It now has around 99 new states, compared to the previous map.
Check which states have changed ⬇️
- Fixed an issue with Türkiye map's province names being on by default.
Version 3.0.4 - 5 October 2022
- Renamed St. Helena to Saint Helena on all maps.
- Fixed issues with some of the Hearts of Iron IV and EU IV province names.
- Fixed multiple subdivision names with accented characters (like Goiás, Curaçao, Diyarbakır, etc.)
Version 3.0.3 - 3 October 2022
- You can now customize what holding the Control button and moving over the map does. You can set it to:
- Color countries/states (the default).
- Hide countries/states.
- Do nothing.
See it in action ⬇️
- Use these shortcuts to color or customize your maps even more quickly.
- Find this in the Advanced... settings dialog.
- The setting you choose is also saved to your browser's preferences, so you don't have to change it every time. The same also happens now for the Shift + click shortcut.
Version 3.0.2 - 30 September 2022
- Makeover of the Canada 🇨🇦 census divisions map! The map is now on a more suitable map projection and doesn't look squishy any more. Check out the updated Canada census divisions map!
- Fixes and improvements to maps:
- World Subdivisions and Asia Detailed maps: renamed Nepal 🇳🇵 provinces Province No.5 and Province No.2 to Lumbini Pradesh and Madhesh Pradesh.
- Cold War World map: fixed an issue with Solomon Islands not displayed on the map for years 1978 to 2016.
- Cold War World map: removed a redundant version of Yugoslavia for year 1992.
- Europe: the "Created with mapchart.net" tag is now displayed at the bottom left corner of the map.
Version 3.0.1 - 29 September 2022
- [Plus] Fixed an issue with loading a saved map straight from the My Maps page.
- Updated all references of Turkey across the website to Türkiye 🇹🇷.
- Updates to maps:
- World Subdivisions and Europe Detailed maps: updated Iceland's 🇮🇸 and Latvia's 🇱🇻 subdivisions. The maps now display Iceland's 8 regions and Latvia's 43 state cities and municipalities. You may need to update your saved maps.
- Fixes and improvements to maps:
- Hearts of Iron IV: fixed around 40 typos in province names.
- World with microstates: Montenegro 🇲🇪 is not shown as a circle any more, but with its real border outline.
Version 3.0.0 - 25 September 2022
- Announcing MapChart Plus! It's a brand new, premium version of the website and the mobile apps that gets you:
- 👤 Your own MapChart Plus account.
- 🗺 My Maps: save all maps you make to your account. No need to use text files any more!
- 🎨 My Palette: save your favourite colors and patterns to your account and find them quickly.
- 🚫 No ads.
- 🌙 A dark theme for the whole website.
- 🖌 5 extra map themes, to better customize your maps.
- 📲 The Premium Max version (costing 9.99$) of the mobile app (iOS or Android).
- You can join MapChart Plus via the Plus page.
- Relevant blog post.
- [Beta] The beta program is now over. Users that participated in it 1 year of MapChart Plus for free, as a reward for their invaluable feedback. Thanks again!
- Various UI improvements.
Version 2.17.1 - 6 September 2022
- Fixed an issue with previewing the Romania map.
Version 2.17.0 - 5 September 2022
- New map! A complete map of Romania's 🇷🇴 subdivisions (counties, communes, cities, and municipalities) is now available! You can also use the sliders in More Options to make counties colorable or transparent.
- Fixes and improvements to maps:
- Westeros: added again the option to change the color of city labels in Advanced.
- World Subdivisions and Asia Detailed: renamed Dəvəçi_AZ to Şabran_AZ.
- Europa Universalis IV: split Slesvig province to Slesvig and Fyn.
- Europa Universalis IV: fixed name of Cabo Verde.
- Europe: fixed borders between Wales and England when the "Split the UK" option is activated.
- Minor UI improvements.
- [Beta] Adapted Historical MapChart pages to the dark theme.
Version 2.16.5 - 28 August 2022
- In the color pickers, when you input your custom hex color, you will now be able to check a preview of it, before selecting. Pressing Enter to select your custom color will now work too.
- The "too many legend entries" warning will now automatically go away as you remove legend entries from the map.
- Various UI improvements.
- [Beta] You can now use your account on the Historical MapChart website as well.
- [Beta] Fixed handling errors when changing e-mail.
- [Beta] Added GIFs explaining the My Maps save/load process.
Version 2.16.4 - 16 August 2022
- Map fixes:
- World subdivisions: Added missing New Ireland province to Papua New Guinea.
- USA Congressional Districts: positioning of some state abbreviation labels.
- USA Counties: minor border fix in MA.
- Europa Universalis IV: fixed name of Vlaanderen province.
- Renamed references of Kiev to Kyiv in all maps.
Version 2.16.3 - 12 August 2022
- Small UI changes for map pages.
- [Beta] Added user and subscription information to Account page.
Version 2.16.2 - 7 August 2022
- Improvements and fixes for the Europa Universalis IV provinces map:
- You can now color all wastelands (impassables) with a single click, to speed-up map-making. Use the Color Wastelands button in the More Options section.
- Default color of some provinces.
- Name of the Noquet province.
Version 2.16.1 - 2 August 2022
- Fixes for the Europa Universalis IV provinces map:
- Added some bottom padding to the map.
- Fixed names of Cayman Islands, Irkutsk, Manokwari, Romsdal, Inner Hebrides, and Tokachi.
- Split the following provinces to be able to color them separately: The Alps, High Atlas, Egyptian Desert, and Zagros.
- Split Combahee to Combahee and Saluda.
- Split Noquet to Noquet and La Pointe.
Version 2.16.0 - 1 August 2022
- New map! The Europa Universalis IV provinces map is now available!
Version 2.15.2 - 28 July 2022
- USA Congressional Districts: Swapped WV01 with WV02 districts.
- Fixed a bug with uploading map configs to the World map with microstates page.
Version 2.15.1 - 26 July 2022
- You can now use the MapChart Configuration Export tool (for Windows and macOS) to export config files for the UK - Elections map as well.
- Fixes to maps:
- Hearts of Iron IV map: name of Yarkand subdivision.
- World Subdivisions/Asia-Detailed: split Papua_ID into three new subdivisions (Central Papua, Highland Papua, and South Papua), valid after 30th June 2022.
- World Subdivisions/Asia-Detailed: name of Zabaykalsky_Krai_RU subdivision.
Version 2.15.0 - 12 July 2022
- [Beta] Import configurations: You can now import all the map configurations you have in text files (.txt) to your account. Find it via the My Maps page and the Import from text files section.
- [Beta] Reordered the columns of the available map configurations tables.
- [Beta] The map configurations table in My Maps now shows the full name of the page that the map belongs to.
- World Subdivisions: Fixed Edineț_MD.
- US Congressional Districts: Fixed borders of Hawaii districts.
Version 2.14.14 - 2 July 2022
- Added changes to the Louisiana map for the US Congressional Districts map.
Version 2.14.13 - 30 June 2022
- Fixed issue where, when typing numbers (1 to 9) in the legend title or labels, the selected color would change.
Version 2.14.12 - 29 June 2022
- Fixed issue with the Background color picker not being able to be set to a color with transparency.
Version 2.14.11 - 28 June 2022
- Fixed issue with the Add Pattern dialog showing the wrong colors sometimes.
- [Beta] Fixed issue with the Add Pattern dialog not working via the 'My Palette' page.
Version 2.14.10 - 23 June 2022
- The US Congressional Districts map has been updated with all the redistricting changes for the upcoming 2022 midterm elections (118th Congress), except for the state of Louisiana, which hasn't approved a map yet. You can find the previous (117th Congress) map, via the Select Congress option on the page. The Excel tools have also been updated.
- Fixed an issue where when using the Clear All button, the map theme was also set to the Default one. Now, it should preserve your currently preferred map theme and only clear your edits on the map.
Version 2.14.9 - 21 June 2022
- Added links to the unofficial subreddit and Discord server for MapChart in the page's footer.
- Fixes and improvements:
- For maps with state borders and abbreviations (US Counties, US Congressional Districts, EU NUTS maps, US electoral cartogram):
- State borders now have the same color as the subdivision borders.
- State abbreviations now have the same color as the subdivision labels (if any).
- Fixed some inconsistencies when isolating a state in the US counties map.
- Better handling of custom colors. If you manually enter an invalid color, you will see an appropriate error message. Also, if you are selecting a custom color, the legend box in Step 2 will be updated as well.
- The More Maps menu on the navigation bar is now wider and with a 3 column layout.
- Fixed issue with the color picker getting cut off when opening it from the Add Pattern dialog.
- World Subdivisions: name of Örebro subdivision.
World Subdivisions/Europe Detailed: Fixed labels and errors in Moldavia and Romania:
- Romania labels: Timiș, Caraș-Severin, Mehedinți, Sălaj, Maramureș, Bistrița-Năsăud, Mureș, Brașov, Argeș, Dâmbovița, Buzău, Brăila, Ialomița, Constanța, Galați, Bacău, Neamț, Iași and Botoșani.
- Moldova labels: Ocnița, Dondușeni, Edineț, Rîșcani, Bălți, Fălești, Florești, Telenești, Călărași, Șoldănești, Strășeni, Chișinău, Hîncești, Cimișlia, Căușeni and Ștefan Vodă.
- Merged Cainari district into Căușeni.
- Renamed Bender to Slobozia.
- Changed some of Transistria's districts to group as OT (other, autonomous, unrecognized) instead of MD (Moldova).
- For maps with state borders and abbreviations (US Counties, US Congressional Districts, EU NUTS maps, US electoral cartogram):
- [Beta] In the color picker, right-clicking on a color from the palette will now show options to Add or Remove it to/from My Palette.
- [Beta] When loading a config from My Maps, if there is an error, an error dialog will appear with diagnostics info.
- [Beta] When saving a config to My Maps, you can now hit Enter/Return in the dialog to save.
Version 2.14.8 - 12 June 2022
- Fixes and improvements:
- Entering an invalid color when selecting a custom color now shows an error message.
- World - Advanced: fixed behavior of zoom mode when changing map projection.
- US hex cartogram: electoral votes count is now updated properly when a configuration is restored or using the random color Script.
- Tamriel: removed a switch that did nothing from More Options section.
- US Counties: better UI behavior when isolating a state.
- Italy: fixed default color of Agrigento district.
- UK: fixed label of Kincardineshire.
- UK (historic): fixed Norfolk not being hidden when hiding all of Great Britain.
- [Beta] Fixed color of rows in Load dialog and My Maps table.
- [Beta] Fixed export functionality of My Maps.
- [Beta] Fixed color of random color Script dropdown.
Version 2.14.7 - 10 June 2022
- The beta program is now under way! The 50 selected users are already reporting bugs for the new, experimental features. These will also be tracked here.
- Fixed an issue with not being able to remove a row from the legend after changing its color.
- Fixed names and spellings on the following maps:
- World Subdivisions and Europe - Detailed: names of Arkhangelsk, Agion Oros, Ivano-Frankivsk, Khmelnytskyi, Lviv, Dnipropetrovsk, Donetsk, Luhansk, Sjælland, Örebro.
- Belgium: names of municipalities of Saint Nicolas and Sint Niklaas.
- The Caribbean: label of Saint Barthelemy.
- Netherlands: names of Noardeast-Fryslân and Sudwest-Fryslân.
- Tamriel: names of Stros M' Kai Archipelago and Helstrom Region, labels of Stros M' Kai and Cheydinhal.
- Fixed an issue on the map of Italy with the district of Agrigento.
- [Beta] Fixed styling issues on loading configuration tables and map themes.
- [Beta] Fixed export button functionality in My Maps page.
Version 2.14.6 - 3 June 2022
- A new setting for the Make a Map of a Single Country/State and Isolate Multiple Countries/States options: you can now set if the colors and data of other subdivisions should be cleared. Example:
- On the US counties map, you color some counties in Texas (TX) 🟥 , some in California (CA) 🟦 , and some in Alabama (AL) 🟨 .
- You isolate the state of Texas (TX) 🟥 .
- If Clear colors of other counties is checked, the 🟦 and 🟨 colors (from the now hidden CA and AL counties) will be removed (cleared) from the map. This is the default behavior.
- If Clear colors of other counties is unchecked, the 🟦 and 🟨 colors (from the now hidden CA and AL counties) will not be removed from the map. If you select Show All you will be able to see them again.
- Fixed: using the random color Script now adds the generated colors in the palette.
Version 2.14.5 - 30 May 2022
- Fixed issue with some pages not loading in Safari on iPads.
- Fixed Chaharmahal and Bakhtiari province in Asia Detailed and World subdivisions maps. It previously was wrongly labelled as Esfahan.
- Renamed the "Preferences" button back to "UI".
Version 2.14.0 - 28 May 2022
- New beta program to test major upcoming features. Find out more in the beta signup page.
- Map themes! You can now select a pre-defined map theme for all your maps:
- ⚪️ Default: white background, grey countries
- ⚫️ Dark: dark background, dark grey countries
- 🔵 Aqua: light blue background, light grey countries
- New legend option: you can now split the legend into two columns. Useful for maps with many legend entries. Find it via the Legend Options option in Step 2.
- New feature: Map Scripts! You can now use
Scripts to quickly color or get data from a map. These include:
- Random color: Randomly colors the whole map.
- Random color by group: Randomly colors the whole map by group (country or state). Available only on relevant maps.
- Find uncolored: Scans the map for countries that are uncolored and outputs them as a list.
- Count: Outputs the total number of elements on the map.
- Count by group: Outputs the total number of elements on the map by group (country or state). Available only on relevant maps.
- List: Get a comma-separated list of all countries/states on the map.
- New shortcut: You can now use numpad shortcuts (keys 1 to 9) to select a already used color.
- Fixed an issue with the US Counties map and the state borders.
- Isolating a state in the US Counties map now zooms in to the state progressively.
- Added this Changelog page, to track all updates of the website.
- Fixed an issue with the Europe maps and the location of the islands next to Mallorca.
- Added a link to the licensing section in the footer.
- Multiple fixes to the UI of the website:
- When you use the Clear All option, a info message is shown, stating that you can use the Undo option.
- Redesign of the various on/off switches.
- The Edit button is now only shown when in Preview Map mode.
- Fixed issues with the layout of the More Options section.
- Fixed issues with the functionality of the More Options section.
- Added proper placeholders for the Isolate Multiple elements and Color Multiple elements sections.
- Fixed issues with the Simple UI layout.
- Renamed the UI button to Preferences, which also contains the map theme switcher.